From September 17–24, 2017, peace-loving folks across our state will celebrate Peace Week Delaware—a statewide series of events and actions raising awareness and hope for peace in our communities, nation, and world.
We encourage you and your organization to join us in creating the second annual Peace Week Delaware.
Peace Week Delaware is an expanded vision of peace led by the Movement for a Culture of Peace, which began organizing peace marches in Wilmington in 2014 and has held monthly public forums on how to achieve peace and address the impact of violence.
Peace Week Delaware 2017 will provide a coordinated outlet for that energy, widening the circle of nonviolent action across the state. The week of September 17–24 brings Campaign Nonviolence Action Week to life in Delaware. It also commemorates International Peace Day (Sept. 21) and the efforts of the United Nations to achieve international harmony.
To create Peace Week Delaware, the Movement for a Culture of Peace and community partners formed the Peace Week Steering Committee, which serves as a clearinghouse and organizer for Peace Week activities. We operate under these guiding principles:
- Umbrella organization for Peace Week (Sept 17–24 in 2017)
- Liaison with community partners and Movement for a Culture of Peace planning group
- Creates and maintains this website for Peace Week Delaware
- Provides framework and timeline for planning events
- Works closely with event organizers
- Orchestrates publicity and public relations
- Establish and maintain communications with community partners to coordinate events
- Establish criteria to ensure Peace Week events support peace, justice and nonviolence
- Make sure there is an accessible community event to start and end the week
- Create a framework and timeline that enables partners to organize and publicize other activities during Peace Week
- Build on activities that partners are already doing and connect them with other organizations
- Create sustainable communications and processes for ongoing events and future Peace Weeks
On this website you will find information about:
- Peace Week Delaware events that are already in the works
- Resources for planning and submitting additional events
- And opportunities to get involved with the Peace Week Delaware planning process
We hope you will be part of creating peace this September and beyond. We have an opportunity to declare our desire for peace and our ideas for achieving it—and we can make a greater difference if we act together as one Delaware.