Peace Week Delaware is less than two weeks away. Here’s an update and an invitation.
Event registration for Peace Week Delaware 2017 closed on August 18 with 60 events statewide—a 50 percent increase over 2016. Now we need you to come out and make these events successful.
The full schedule is online, and a printed program guide will be available next week through our many event sponsors and at the public libraries listed online. Or you can pick one up at any event.
On our website, the complete schedule is broken down day by day (see the drop-down menu) and also by county. The majority of events are in New Castle County, but we have significantly increased Peace Week Delaware’s reach in Kent and Sussex.
Many of this year’s events seem timely. Of particular note is the number of events that address understanding of Islam and solidarity with American Muslims. These include interfaith discussions, shared meals, and a rare opportunity to observe Friday prayers and meet Muslims at a Wilmington mosque.
Among the many other events are:
• A peace concert by members of the Cathedral Choir School of Delaware youth chorus
• A panel addressing gun violence in Delaware with former DHSS Cabinet Secretary Rita Landgraf, Wilmington Police Lt. Dan Selekman, and Amber Goodwin of the Community Justice Reform Coalition
• “I Am Not a Racist” – a facilitated workshop exploring racism and white supremacy
• A Youth Visionary Peace Art Exhibition at the Delaware Contemporary
• A Service Day honoring the three Delaware firefighters who died in the line of duty
• A talk by the director of refugee programs at Human Rights Watch and a separate program addressing the needs of Syrian refugees
• Performances including Delaware’s Twin Poets, rapper El-Rod, and the father-son drama “Out of the Ashes”
• A pizza party with members of the Wilmington Police Department
• Plus a wide variety of other events including films, meditation, workshops, events for kids, and more
We especially invite you to participate in one (or both!) of our major public witness events for peace and justice:
PEACE MARCH AND RALLY IN LEWES: SEPT. 16
Interfaith march and rally for peace internationally and here at home.
March: step off at 1812 Memorial Park (corner of Front St and Savannah Rd)
Rally: Canalfront Park (corner of Shipcarpenter St and Front St), Lewes DE
When: 3:00 pm step off for march; Rally at 3:30 pm
FOURTH ANNUAL MARCH FOR A CULTURE OF PEACE IN WILMINGTON: SEPT. 23
The march that started the Movement for a Culture of Peace, which created Peace Week Delaware. Bring your friends and your organization’s banner to show that you care about peace and justice in Delaware.
Where: March in Center City begins and ends in Wilmington’s Rodney Square
When: March steps off at 11:30, followed by Day of Peace Rally
With so many events, there is some competition for your attention. But that also means that, on any given day, you will likely find something of personal interest. So browse the schedule and plot your path through this rich and peace-filled week. Show your support for building a culture of peace in our community and across the world.
We welcome your questions and comments at firstname.lastname@example.org.