From October 3-11, 2020, peace-loving people across our state will celebrate Peace Week Delaware—a statewide series of events and actions raising awareness and hope for peace in our communities, nation, and world.
We encourage you and your organization to join us in creating the fifth annual Peace Week Delaware.
Peace Week Delaware is an expanded vision of peace led by the Movement for a Culture of Peace, which began organizing annual peace marches in Wilmington in 2014 and has held monthly public forums on how to achieve peace and address the impact of violence.
Peace Week Delaware 2020 will provide a coordinated outlet for that energy, widening the circle of nonviolent action across the state. Our local events will dovetail with other national and international peace movements. On a national level, the week of September 19-27, 2020, is Campaign Nonviolence Action Week. We will also commemorate International Peace Day (Sept. 21) and the efforts of the United Nations to achieve international harmony.
To create Peace Week Delaware, the Movement for a Culture of Peace and community partners formed the Peace Week Steering Committee, which serves as a clearinghouse and organizer for Peace Week activities. We operate under these guiding principles:
- Umbrella organization for Peace Week Delaware
- Liaison with community partners and Movement for a Culture of Peace planning group
- Creates and maintains this website for Peace Week Delaware
- Provides framework and timeline for planning events
- Works closely with event organizers to support their events
- Orchestrates publicity and public relations
- Establish and maintain communications with community partners to coordinate events
- Establish criteria to ensure Peace Week events support peace, justice and nonviolence
- Make sure there is an accessible community event to start and end the week
- Create a framework and timeline that enables partners to organize and publicize other activities during Peace Week
- Build on activities that partners are already doing and connect them with other organizations
- Create sustainable communications and processes for ongoing events and future Peace Weeks
We hope you will be part of creating peace this year and beyond. We have an opportunity to declare our desire for peace and our ideas for achieving it—and we can make a greater difference if we act together as one Delaware.
Click here to get a listing of current Steering Committee Members.
Click here to get a listing of our event organizers/sponsors from 2019.
Click here to get a listing of our event organizers/sponsors from 2020.