Disclosure Watch Party and Panel Discussion – Woodlawn Library
Date: 10/8 Time: 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Why Attend this Event?
Because they are our neighbors
- One in 33 American teens (approximately one in each classroom) identifies as transgender
- .5% of all U.S. adults, some 1.3 million people, have a different gender identity than the sex they were assigned at birth.
Because what we see from the media informs or even misinforms our understanding of the world
- Media plays an incredible role in how we perceive the world, especially others.
- The most common ways trans and cisgender people learn about trans and nonbinary people is through the media
- The media often portrays transgender people in a harmful or dehumanizing way. These portrayals stigmatize transgender people.
- A recent report in a peer-reviewed academic journal, LGBT Health, revealed that damaging media coverage of trans and gender nonconforming people was correlated with clinical systems of PTSD in transgender people, anxiety, and depression.
Why Attend This Event – To Learn More, to Discuss, to Act